Our Statement & Stance on Life
July 4, 2022
As you probably already know, the recent Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade has sent the issue of abortion back to individual states. In light of this news, we felt it important to be very specific about our core beliefs. In a nutshell, Verity’s Village is FOR women AND for their babies, knowing the rare little ones for whom we advocate are often aborted because of their genetic condition.
In addition to our statement of faith, we have outlined some important beliefs that drive our mission.
- All deserve LIFE. We believe God created ALL people (including those with disabilities) with inherent value, purpose, and dignity and deserve to be treated accordingly.
- All deserve LOVE. We believe that as God loves all people and has commanded us to love one another, we also must love everyone. We choose to show love and compassion to the innocent child affected by a challenging diagnosis; the child’s parents and other family members; the medical professionals involved in the child’s care; and everyone else we meet along the way.
- Families deserve TRUTH. We believe women (and therefore their babies) often fall prey to lies from the culture and at times the medical community when facing a prenatal diagnosis. We believe women deserve to hear the truth about their baby’s condition as well as the full range of possibilities.
- Families deserve SUPPORT. We believe God created us to live in community. Women who feel alone may believe they have no real choice other than to terminate what they think is a doomed pregnancy. However, women who receive education about their baby’s condition along with emotional, mental, and tangible support can choose to give their baby life, no matter how long or short that life may be.
- Life deserves to be HONORED. We believe God created us as both physical and spiritual beings who will live forever after our physical deaths. We believe the eternal nature of the soul gives us a perspective that allows for the paradoxes of living with joy in grief, peace in pain, and purpose in uncertainty. Thus, we believe in the beauty of allowing a baby the opportunity to live his or her own precious life, marking the occasion of the birth (and possibly death) with dignity and honor.
Our Prenatal Support Group
In addition to sharing our core beliefs with you, we felt it would be helpful for you to gain even more insight into how we present our stance with potential village members. When people find From Diagnosis to Delivery, our private support group, they read the following description of our platform (emphasis added):
This prenatal support group is a safe place for parents who have received a life-limiting diagnosis for their babies to receive information and resources. We seek to provide encouragement and assistance for your journey, addressing the mental and emotional anguish these complications can cause as well as practical answers to your questions about interventions at birth and beyond.
This group is connected with the nonprofit Verity’s Village, a ministry inspired by our daughter Verity and the journey that started for us in 2016 when we received our prenatal diagnosis.
We are unashamedly pro-life. We welcome those who are uncertain about their path forward with their unborn baby; however, please understand that our encouragement will always be toward life, however long or short that life may be. Open, honest discussion is encouraged, and sincere questions will not be suppressed.